Discovering sparkling wines,
one bottle at a time.

Friday 14 February 2014

Discovering Prosecco - Italy's Darling


You may have heard the term Prosecco, but what does it really mean? Where exactly is it from? This week, Italy is the region - and Prosecco is the sparkling star.

Prosecco refers to the sparkling wine itself, but is also the name of the grape variety that the wine is made from. Prosecco is made in the Veneto region of north east Italy, where the climate is cool and tempered thanks to the alps in the north. 

Prosecco is not made in the traditional method style, it is made in the "Charmat" method (named after the French creator). In the Charmat method, also referred to as the tank method, the second fermentation that creates the bubbles is done in a stainless steel tank instead of in bottle. The resulting wine is fruity and fresh.

Tasting Note
Nose: This wine has fresh aromas of meyer lemon, ripe pear and orange blossom
Palate: On the palate, this wine displays fresh citrus and crisp apple notes with invigorating bubbles leading to a satisfying finish.
Food Match: Prosecco pairs best with antipasto and cured Italian meats
Alcohol:11%
Price: $13.55

This wine is available in the LCBO,  and is a great choice for a a summer afternoon on the deck. There may be a few months left until sunshine, but this bright sparkler is sure to brighten your mood!

Happy Sipping!



11 comments:

  1. Love it!
    Saw this blog entry on my Twitter timeline and the description for last minute valentine gift idea instantly caught my attention.
    I'd never heard of Prosecco before, but will definitely give it a try! Thanks for the great insight.
    I'm looking forward to learn more about other sparkling wines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE PRESECCO!
    It's my mom's favourite and she passed that love on to me. Reading through this blog made me want a chilled class of it right now and it's only 10:30....Mimosa anyone?!
    This is great Gillian! I Can't wait to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chin-chin! (cheers in italian)
    I can finally bring something I can recommend to my Italian friends, I never know what to bring to dinner, they always have everything! I'll make sure to pick one of these bad boys next time!
    Thanks my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say yes to Devon about the mimosa, but it's 530 already, so all I have to do is buy a Prosseco. I am loving the mixture of meyer lemon, ripe pear and orange blossom. Thanks Gillian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you decided to write about Prosseco, as it a household name here at my house. I can definitely relate with Maria, I never know what to bring to my best friends house, this beautiful mix of meyer lemon, ripe pear and orange blossom has solved the problem! Great insight so far Gillian, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are certainly a few (too many) months until sunshine but when the warm weather does come, I will do exactly as you suggest and enjoy a glass in the sunshine! I like your approach to blog writing, you have a great voice for writing in this context. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Prosseco! And being Italian there are always many bottles in my house at a time. In my books it's the perfect sparkling wine and I usually pair it with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I do enjoy some Prosseco every now and again. Your blog has inspired me to try some more of the bubbly! When are you tasting your next feature ;)?! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prosseco is my life. Not to be dramatic, but I live and breathe for good prosseco. I use it for cooking and is the main ingredient in my famous punch! (I will have to send the recipe your way) I love all your tasting notes, can't wait to pair my next bottle with a charcuterie platter and yummy Niagara cheese. Thanks Gillian
    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. My grandfather used to say that a woman is like a bottle of wine: she is becoming only better with age and her temper demonstrates what kind of wine she is. Prosseco, to my mind, is definitely your type as you are always fresh-minded, outgoing and very active person )) Great post Gillian!

    ReplyDelete