Discovering sparkling wines,
one bottle at a time.

Friday 7 February 2014

Discovering Crémant de Loire

This week, I will be sharing a favourite go-to sparkling of mine. France is the region, but we are not talking about Champagne - yet! There is another sparkling option from France with incredible character and value, a great wine at a great price - welcome to the wonderful world of Crémant!

Crémant is a French term that refers to traditional method sparkling wine made in France, but not from Champagne. There are seven regions that produce Crémant in France and are approved by French wine law. The subject of today is Crémant de Loire.

The Loire Valley is located in central France and home to France's longest river. The Loire is the second largest region producing sparkling in France behind Champagne. By law, Crémant de Loire must spend nine months ageing, and may be released after one year.

Chateau de Montgueret is a blend of Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay and Cabernet Franc.

Tasting Note
Nose: This wine has aromas of green apple, lemon zest and white flower.
Palate: This wine is crisp and dry with bright citrus flavours. The bubbles are smooth, and leave the palate refreshed.
Food Match: Grilled calamari with fresh lemon, or mild cheeses and lighter fare
Alcohol: 12%
Price: $19.95

Available in the LCBO, this Crémant is a fantastic option for a méthode-traditionnelle wine at a great price. I love to give this wine as a gift, and I often pick it up for those unsure moments in the LCBO when you really can't decide what you should be drinking that night. Chances are, you'll always be happy with bubbles.

Cheers and happy sipping!


3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try it. Anything that is bubbly, under $20 and pairs with calamari is perfect for me! Thanks Gillian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gillian,
    It was pleasure to read everything in your blog so far. You've provided great insight on each of the wines you have done so far. Sparkling wines is a category of wines I have yet to try, since I am slowly getting into wines (not quite there yet).

    After reading this post, I think I might pick up a bottle of Crémant and give it a taste. Looking forward to reading your future posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog...and I have a whole list of new wines I want to try...now I just need the money to buy them .lol keep tempting my palate please!

    ReplyDelete