Discovering sparkling wines,
one bottle at a time.

Thursday 6 March 2014

Discovering Four Mile Creek: Jackson Triggs


Located in the heart of Niagara-On-The-Lake, Jackson Triggs is an iconic winery that has helped put Niagara wine on the world wine map.  Established in 1993, Jackson Triggs is a larger winery that also has vineyard holdings in the Okanagan Valley. 

As many of the Niagara-On-The-Lake vineyards do, the Jackson Triggs Niagara Estate Vineyard located in the sub-appellation of Four Mile Creek benefits from the warming and cooling effect of Lake Ontario, as well as the close proximity to the Niagara Escarpment. This cool region thrives on grapes perfectly suited to the climate, especially the high acid grape Sauvignon Blanc, which is the star of today's post.

By now, you have learned about the three classic grape varieties used for the Methode Traditionelle: Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay. Sauvignon Blanc made in the traditional method is certainly uncommon; a unique sparkling that rewards the adventurous drinker! 

Tasting Note:
Nose: Fresh citrus, subtle toast and fresh cut grass
Palate: Palate follows the nose with refreshing citrus notes, elegant bubbles supported by bright and beautifully integrated acidity leading to a lasting finish
Food Match: Best served with prosciutto wrapped
melon
Alcohol: 13%
Price: 29.95

The Entourage Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc is available at the LCBO, and at the Jackson Triggs Winery. Happy sipping!

7 comments:

  1. We held a surprise party for my best friend at Jackson Triggs last year. We had a fabulous meal, great wine pairings, a tour and a stop in the shop. It was a great experience! No wonder it has helped put Niagara Wine on the world map :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love Jackson Triggs wine, and I've yet to try this one out. I also find it interesting how where the winery is located effects the quality and taste of the wine. Thanks for sharing Gillian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big wine drinker but I wish I was. I only ever drink white wine as I find red just too strong. I have a really difficult time consistently drinking wine to develop the acquired taste for it. I realize there are a TON of different wines out there, so surely there must be something I would like if I just stick with it.

    I think I should try a sparkling wine sometime because you make it sound fantastic. What better place to start than with the Entourage Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc from Jackson-Triggs!

    Gillian, the design of your blog and the way your posts are written are very eloquent and professional. It was visually appealing and enjoyable to read.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog makes me so damn thirsty (sorry, I'll stop wining).

    Despite working at the Keg for five years, I never was much of one for wine; that said, I do enjoy me some JT. I'm gonna have to give this sparkling a try! Great stuff, Gillian.

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gillian, Nice post.
    Sauvignon Blanc, specifically jackson triggs is probably my favourite wine to drink.
    Granted I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I'm french so it is kinda in my blood at times... I just can't help myself!
    I've never thought to pair it with your suggestion, I'll give it a try. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked at the Wine Rack for awhile and really enjoyed my experience selling wine. We had to write a Wine Exam and did a lot of tastings and food pairing experiences as well. I haven't really experimented all that much with sparkling wines, although I love the champagne and ice wine combo for special events! Jackson Triggs, although not my favorite local brand definitely has one of the best tours. Great blog Gillian!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, I lpve wine, so you blog has been amazing to read. I knew I had to comment on this post because I specifically love Jackson Triggs wine! I am definitely going to try pairing it with your suggestions next time I drink it (which will probably be soon lol), thanks for the tips Gillian!

    ReplyDelete